Confidential STD Testing Questions and Answers
All STI/STD tests done at AFC Urgent Care Fresno are safe, easy and confidential. We provide the utmost care when it comes to our patients, and show you the respect you deserve when it comes to your health and wellness. Contact us today to book your confidential STD test!
What are the symptoms of STDs?
STI/STD symptoms can be different depending on the STI/STD you may have contracted, however usually you will notice one of these symptoms:
- Unusual discharge from the vagina, penis or anus
- Pain when you are peeing
- Lumps or skin growths around the genitals area or anus
- Unusual vaginal bleeding
- Itchy genitals or itchy anus
- Blisters or sores appearing around your genitals or anus
- Warts appearing around your genitals or anus
- Warts appearing around your mouth, in your mouth or throat (this is very rare)
If you do notice any one of the above listed symptoms, visit AFC Urgent Care Fresno for a confidential STD test to find out if you are infected, and which treatment option is available for your STI/STD.
You should also visit us if you or your partner is showing symptoms of an STI/STD, or if you are worried due to having sex without a condom, or you are pregnant and showing symptoms of an STI/STD.
Unfortunately, many STI/STDs show no symptoms including HIV. The one way for you to know for sure that you do not have an STI/STD is to get tested.
When should you get tested for STDs?
It is highly recommended you have a routine screening test for STI/STDs each year if you are sexually active. This is to rule out any STI/STDs that do not show any symptoms, as you may not be aware that you have contracted an STI/STD without a test being completed.
STI/STD testing offers the ability to find an infection early on, due to this you can get treatment for it and prevent the spread of the infection to others. If you leave an STI/STD untreated, it can lead to serious complications.
If you or your partners STI/STD test shows up positive, you or your partner will need to also get a test completed to make sure they can get the treatment needed if they also contracted an STI/STD.
Some STI/STD’s can be cured with treatment, while others cannot. However, most STI/STDs can receive treatment to help with any symptoms.
What is included in an STD test?
Depending on the symptoms you are showing, or if you aren’t showing any symptoms at all, a few STI/STD tests may be conducted. Your doctor will help you to figure out which test is needed, as you will go over the following during your appointment:
- Any symptoms you may be experiencing
- If you or your partner have ever contracted an STD before
- Number of sexual partners you’ve been with
- Kinds of sexual contact you’ve had (this includes oral, anal, or vaginal sex, anything with skin-to-skin genital contact or the passing of sexual fluids)
- How often you use protection during sexual contact (ex. Condoms and dental dams)
- Anything else that would increase your changes of certain infections (including sharing needles)
STD Testing is quick and a simple process, and usually does not hurt. There is not one single test to rule out all STI/STDs, as each have their own test that needs to be conducted in order to find out if you are positive or negative. These tests you may have to do include:
- Urine sample (pee into the cup provided)
- Cheek swab (rub a swab on the inside of your cheek to test for HIV)
- Blood test (lab test will take a sample of your blood from your arm or a quick prick of your finger)
- Physical exam (doctor will examine your genital area to check for any sign of warts, sores, rashes, irritation or unusual discharge)
- Testing of your sores (doctor will take a sample of fluid from any of your sores or blisters with a swab)
- Swab sample of discharge or cell samples from your genital areas, urethra, cervix, anus and throat
These tests will be sent off to a lab to complete an analysis of them and offer the results back to your doctor to review with you.
Are STD tests confidential?
All STI/STD tests done at AFC Urgent Care Fresno are safe, easy and confidential. We provide the utmost care when it comes to our patients, and show you the respect you deserve when it comes to your health and wellness. If you have any questions about our confidential STD testing, call us today to speak to one of our healthcare providers. We are located at 3656 W. Shaw Ave Fresno, CA 93711. We serve patients from Fresno CA, Clovis CA, Sanger CA, Reedley CA, Selma CA, Kingsburg CA, and Kerman CA.